Each year, the World Health Organization (WHO) holds World No Tobacco Day on May 31. Their goal is to spread awareness about the risks of tobacco use and how we can make the world tobacco free. Here are Boo-Shaw Bakery, we fully support and endorse this holiday! “No Tobacco” sounds great to us! 🙂 If you’re trying to quit using tobacco and feel like reaching for something containing tobacco, consider substituting something like Boo-Shaw Bakery cookies instead!
We wanted to learn more about this ‘Day,’ so we went straight to the source – World Heath Organization (WHO): https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-no-tobacco-day/2023.
Campaign objectives – Grow Food, Not Tobacco
- Mobilize governments to end subsidies on tobacco growing and use of savings for crop substitution programs that support farmers to switch and improve food security and nutrition
- Raise awareness in tobacco farming communities about the benefits of moving away from tobacco and growing sustainable crops
- Support efforts to combat desertification and environmental degradation by decreasing tobacco farming
- Expose industry efforts to obstruct sustainable livelihoods work
Why This Day Is Important to You. . .
- It shows us how the tobacco industry contributes to poverty
- It warns us of the dangers of second-hand smoke
- It demonstrates how the tobacco industry damages the environment
Let’s all educate ourselves on this day, do some research, gain some knowledge and help realize the benefits of ‘no tobacco.’